Guardian Buildings were originally the headquarters and printshop for the Middleton Guardian newspaper, which is still going strong today. They were designed by Edgar Wood in 1889 in a simple direct way with an art nouveau verticality and a pair of strong gables.
Never expensive, the building has been known only in a very mutilated form for several decades. That is until now, as the Edgar Wood and Middleton THI is funding its restoration to something close to its original form. We look forward to the result!
In 1906, the owner of Guardian Buildings, Fred Bagot, also commissioned Edgar Wood to build him a new home at 36 Mellalieu Street. It was his first flat roofed design and has also been restored by the THI.